Saturday, November 30, 2019

Charlie Puth's "Mother" decrypted

Mother decrypted: Breaking down the meaning of Mother

Discussion: 

The latest hit song "Mother" has now reached radios worldwide. The happy-sounding song has a deeper meaning as Charlie Puth discussed recently. In this post, I'll be breaking down the lyrics and decrypt its meaning.



Verse 1» "He's such a nice boy, so well-mannered
He's so much better than the last one you've brought around."

The starting of the first verse shows what the girl's mother thinks about Charlie. The mother thinks that Charlie is a nice boy and well-mannered; much better than the other boys she met.

NOTE: The song involves three main characters - Charlie, the girl and her mother.

                 "Please and thank you, everything matters
I'm gonna make sure that she know I'm the best she's found"

Charlie thanks the mother for her kind words. He wants to prove that he's the best she will ever find.

Pre-Chorus» "The moment she walks out that door
                          I'm not pretending anymore"

This part of the song tells us that Charlie pretends to be 'a nice boy' when the mother is around. But when she leaves, Charlie doesn't hold back anymore.

Chorus» "If your mother knew all of the things that we do
 
If your mother knew, all the things we do
           
If your mother knew she'd keep me so far from you
 
If your mother knew, all the things we do" 

NOTE: In the chorus 'your' refers to the girl, while 'she' refers to the girl's mother.


The chorus of the song is about all the things they do. And if their mother gets to know about this, they will be in trouble. The girl's mother will keep her far from Charlie if she gets to know about this.

Verse 2» "Sneak out the window, bed stuffed with pillows
     I'll be waiting in the car right around the block.
                Back of the Benzo, more than a friend zone
     We've been hiding since the time they forgot to knock."

The second verse of the song has half-rhymes such as window and pillow, Benzo and friend zone. We can see Charlie is calling the girl to come around and have some fun. 

After that we have the pre-chorus and chorus, which we already discussed previously. So, let's head to the bridge.

Bridge» "Next time that she sees me
 She gon' act like she don't know me
    'Cause she knows all of the story
 Now your daddy wants to kill me 
      (Ye
ah) Next time that she sees me
  She gon' act like she don't know me
    'Cause she knows all of the story
 Now your daddy wants to kill me"
    
This part of the bridge is similar to the intro beat right at the beginning of the song. Charlie commented on it -
"My favorite thing to do in songs is have a section where the melody is reminiscent of another part in the song. The bridge melody here is exactly the same as the intro Moog synth bass."

The bridge is about the consequences that will happen if the girl's mother finds out. The mother will try to ignore Charlie while the father will try to kill him.

      "If your mother only knew"

At this section of the bridge the tune suddenly turns dark and sullen. But it comes back up with the pre-chorus, then the final chorus.

Post-Chorus» "Next time that she sees me (Hey)
 She gon' act like she don't know me (Does she know me?)
         'Cause she knows all of the story
 Now your daddy wants to kill me (Yeah)
       
 Next time that she sees me
  She gon' act like she don't know me
    'Cause she knows all of the story
 Now your daddy wants to kill me (Yeah)
"

The post-chorus is the same as the bridge. It merges with the chorus to form a continuous tune. 

Outro» "If your mother knew all the things we do
   If your mother knew all the things we do
If your mother knew all of the things that we do"

The outro of the song is the same as the chorus. It creates a sad tone as Charlie departs with the girl.
Thank you for reading this post. This is the first 'discussion' in the blog. I will be adding more discussions. I've put in a lot of effort for this project. Please subscribe and follow the blog if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment